New Voices Award
In the spirit of fostering new talent, The Wilbur & Niso Smith Foundation, in partnership with Bonnier Books UK, is introducing the New Voices Award, to assist a new pool of brilliant writers to launch their writing careers.
We know excellence doesn’t happen overnight. The New Voices award will support five individuals to develop a new manuscript over the course of eight months, from initial idea to complete first draft.
Each writer will receive regular one-to-one mentoring and editorial guidance from a first-class editor over the eight-month period, supporting you to develop your creative practice. Upon completion, each manuscript will be considered by publisher Bonnier Books UK and participating writers will receive a group session with a literary agent.
Please read the full details on The Wilbur & Niso Smith Foundation website to ensure your work is what we're looking for.
Eligibility | Terms and Conditions:
Submission of entry is taken to be an unqualified acceptance of these rules:
- The competition is open to writers of any nationality writing in English
- The writer must not be represented by a literary agent
- The writer must be aged 18+
- The writer must never have had a novel published by a recognised trade publisher, or have signed a contract to publish a novel in the future
- If the writer has self-published novels, the writer remains eligible to enter with a new idea
- The work must be intended for adult readers. We do not accept children's or young adult novels
- Your submission must be the first three chapters of the novel. Do not exceed 10,000 words
- If you enter your work in other competitions and you win, please notify us. If we believe there is a conflict of interest, we may ask you to withdraw your submission
- Entries must be submitted digitally, ideally as a .doc, or .docx. Please format your work to font size 12, doubled spaced. There must be no reference to the author's name or personal details in the manuscript as we operate a concealed judging process. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions about file type
We reserve the right:
- to not award any of/all the shortlist of places, where circumstances are beyond our control, or if the panel’s overall verdict is that the level of entries is not up to the required standard, or delay the process should the number of entries exceed expectations
- to disqualify any entry if we have reasonable grounds to believe that the entrant has breached any of these rules. We cannot accept any responsibility for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrant entering the competition
- to amend these rules where it is deemed necessary to do so or where circumstances are beyond our control
We will act in accordance with current UK data protection legislation in relation to your personal data.